The Pharmacy Department services the inpatients of LACGH and selected outpatient programs, including a satellite clinic for the Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario.
Our pharmacy team provides safe, efficient and effective drug distribution. This is done using automated medication cabinets, an electronic medication administration record and medication verification at the bedside. Completed in 2016, the implementation of this technology helps improve patient safety and ensure each patient receives the appropriate medication.
Other services provided include
- Conducting interviews with patients and families to obtain a medication history
- Personalized medication education and counselling
- Active pharmacist involvement with the health care team to optimize drug therapy
- Centralized IV admixture program for injectable and sterile drug manufacturing
- Promoting appropriate use of antibiotics to reduce the incidence of antibiotic- related side effects and resistance
- Clinical preceptors for training pharmacy students, technicians and assistants
The Pharmacy department at LACGH is accredited through the Ontario College of Pharmacists.