Cardiac and Respiratory Rehabilitation are individualized programs of exercise, education, and counseling designed to help you live a healthier lifestyle and reduce your risk of future cardiac events and health problems. Our team consists of 3 Physiotherapists, a Registered Nurse, a General Internist, Dietitian, Pharmacist, Social Worker, Kinesiologist, and an Administrative Assistant.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
The services offered at our Cardiac Rehab Centre include medical screening and recommendations, risk factor identification, cardiovascular stress testing, individualized exercise prescription and progression, monitored exercise sessions, individual nutritional counseling, group education sessions, stress management, group supports, smoking cessation assistance and vocational counseling or referral.
The program is currently operating virtually through video conference or telephone calls. In consultation with your care team, some onsite visits may be arranged for assessment.
Referral criteria: High risk of cardiovascular disease, stable coronary artery disease, acute coronary syndrome, post cardiac surgery, other cardiovascular surgery, post vascular surgery, congestive heart failure, post percutaneous coronary intervention, other cardiac or vascular insufficiency and cardiomyopathy.
The team would be pleased to help you work towards your optimal cardiovascular health based on your personal risk factors.
Please contact the Clerk at extension 285 to cancel or change appointment times.
Other Cardiac Rehab Resources
Respiratory Rehabilitation Program
Benefits of Respiratory Rehabilitation
- Understanding lung disease and learning pacing, planning, and prioritizing.
- Decreased symptoms of shortness of breath and tiredness.
- Improve muscle strength and flexibility.
- Improved ability to do normal activities, such as taking a shower and cooking.
- Improved ability to walk and exercise.
- Feeling better and enjoying life more.
- Learning breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Using medications and inhalers effectively.
- Learning how to manage your symptoms and prevent unplanned doctor and hospital visits.
Services Offered at Respiratory Rehabilitation
- Assessment: With a doctor, physiotherapist, nurse, respiratory therapist and dietitian. This will include a measurement of exercise capacity.
- Exercise: Attend supervised one-hour exercise classes three times per week. The exercise program will be based on the exercise test, medical history, and patient goals. Every class consists of a warm-up, exercise, and cool-down.
- Education: Education classes and information about the patient’s condition. Education includes: exercising at home, medications and how to take the, lung structure and function, good food choices, coping with stress, and how to use oxygen at home.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD-emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and/or asthma)
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Other respiratory problems and/or:
- Shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, wheezing, a stubborn cough, and thick mucus.
- Shortness of breath/tiredness that:
- Causes problems at work.
- Prevent you from doing normal activities, such as taking a shower or vacuuming.
- Makes it hard to walk or exercise.
- Questions about your breathing medications or inhalers and how to use them.
- Feelings of stress or anxiety about breathing.